Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aquafiend

urgent - help rescuing ginkgo

aquafiend
15 years ago

I have a small ginkgo (about 9 inches tall) with great sentimental significance - it was used in my wedding ceremony earlier this year. Until yesterday, I had it in a large pot on the back deck because it seemed to small and delicate for a permanent home in the ground. Yesterday when I went outside I found it on the ground, uproooted and chewed in half (!!). The stem had been separated from the roots about half an inch above the soil level by some animal.

I made a clean cut on both sides and attempted a whip and tongue graft. I bound the graft together using twine and replanted the whole thing in a small pot inside and covered it with a glass jar to keep the humidity up. I didn't use wax or anything else to seal over the twine because a) I didn't have any and b) the whole thing is in a humid environment. I also removed three leaves (out of six).

I have never grafted before so I have no idea if I did a good job. I did my best to align the cambium layers, but the stems were slightly different sizes because of the missing chunk so it's only really aligned on one side.

My question(s): I REALLY want to save this plant (for obvious reasons). Is this the best strategy? Would it be better to just try to root the stem? There are a couple of dormant buds on it.

Is there any way to encourage the roots to re-sprout?

Would it be worth burying the graft so that the stem has a chance to root OR take the graft? The graft is about a half inch above the original soil level, so it would mean burying the roots a couple of inches deeper.

thanks in advance for any help.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus