Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
urgent - help rescuing ginkgo

Posted by aquafiend 6a (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 29, 08 at 10:28

I have a small ginkgo (about 9 inches tall) with great sentimental significance - it was used in my wedding ceremony earlier this year. Until yesterday, I had it in a large pot on the back deck because it seemed to small and delicate for a permanent home in the ground. Yesterday when I went outside I found it on the ground, uproooted and chewed in half (!!). The stem had been separated from the roots about half an inch above the soil level by some animal.

I made a clean cut on both sides and attempted a whip and tongue graft. I bound the graft together using twine and replanted the whole thing in a small pot inside and covered it with a glass jar to keep the humidity up. I didn't use wax or anything else to seal over the twine because a) I didn't have any and b) the whole thing is in a humid environment. I also removed three leaves (out of six).

I have never grafted before so I have no idea if I did a good job. I did my best to align the cambium layers, but the stems were slightly different sizes because of the missing chunk so it's only really aligned on one side.

My question(s): I REALLY want to save this plant (for obvious reasons). Is this the best strategy? Would it be better to just try to root the stem? There are a couple of dormant buds on it.

Is there any way to encourage the roots to re-sprout?

Would it be worth burying the graft so that the stem has a chance to root OR take the graft? The graft is about a half inch above the original soil level, so it would mean burying the roots a couple of inches deeper.

thanks in advance for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: urgent - help rescuing ginkgo

I think your best chance is for the roots to activate the two dormant buds on the part remaining attached to the roots. I don't think the graft will take. Al

o
RE: urgent - help rescuing ginkgo

calistoga - Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately the dormant buds are attached to the (detached) stem, not the stump/roots. I probably wouldn't have bothered with the graft except that when I checked the stump part, I couldn't see any obvious buds or nodes. I had read that ginkgos are very hard to root so thought I would try for the graft just in case (even though it's the wrong season, etc.)

Is there anything I could do either to maximize the chances of the graft taking, or to maximize the chances of the roots spontaneously resprouting? Temperature / humidity / light levels?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here