Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagation of WIld or Choke Cherry Suckers?

Posted by watershaper Z 4/5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 19, 09 at 10:54

I have a tree that I have been told is a Wild Cherry or Choke Cherry tree. Seems like they are interchangeable to a lot of people, I don't know. I don't have pictures but they are young trees with deep red leaves, and the new growth is green that fades to red after a few days. They have suckers all around the trunk and my friend wanted to try and get them started at her place. Any suggestions on proper propagation? Should we expect trees or more of a shrub from the suckers? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagation of WIld or Choke Cherry Suckers?

Expect trees, IF can remove sucker with roots attached then just plant in area where you wish the tree to grow. If no roots attached then remove all but 1 leaf at tip (3-4" long stem)apply 0.3% IBA (Rooting hormonr) stick in well drained soil & mist.
The tree sounds more like a Canadian Cherry

o

Thanks for the info. I'm not really sure what the tree is, it was already planted when I moved in to the house. Thanks again.

o

I have a similar situation: I have a sucker below the graft on a 1-year pear that I planted last fall. (The pear is Clapp's favorite, the rootstock is dwarfing but I do not know what it is.) I am wondering if I can remove the sucker, root it with hormone, etc., to make a new rootstock, and then graft a cutting from the scion on to it sometime in the future to get a cloned tree with a similar growth habit?

o

jdbat,
great plan, you'll have another tree just like the mother tree. good luck!

-Little John

o

Thanks -- I'll see what happens and post (if it's a success)!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here