Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rooting media and other questions

Posted by spazzycat_1 z7 NC (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 6, 09 at 10:57

I've been taking cuttings of some herbaceous perennials (phlox divaricata, coreopsis, heliotropum, etc...). I dip the cuttings in root tone and stick them in a container filled with potting soil. Then, I cover the container with plastic and make sure that it stays in the shade. All the references say that in 7-10 days, I should see some root development. It is taking more like a six weeks or more.

Is that normal, or does my rooting media need to be a lighter mix? I would like to speed this process along a little.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rooting media and other questions

you might consider adding perlite to lighten your mix up. root developement doesn't mean completely rooted. in some cases it mean calluses. also different plants can take a longer or a shorter time to root. maybe they're in too much shade? do you have much rotting? if you've got the money to spend a intermittent mist prop set up will speed things along.

o

Some perennials (I am not familiar with the names you mentioned.) will root better if started in late fall or winter. The books and manuals don't mention this often. If you continue to have unsatisfactory results try again in December.

o

• Posted by capt44 zone 7 central arkan (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 13, 09 at 0:30

The simple way is to use course sand like they use in concrete.
In my rooting beds I put a 2 inch layer of small gravel and the rest course sand to make sure it drains well.
You can use this with a intermintent mist system or just place in a shady spot and keep damp.
When you use potting soil it can retain moisture and cause fungus problems at the stem
be sure and use a rooting compound.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here