Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celtic_cultures

proagating blueberries

Celtic_Cultures
18 years ago

I have inheritated what appears to be 5 varieties of blueberries, three lowbush and two highbush. The two highbush are simply amazing in terms of production and fruit quality and so I'd like to take a cutting from each and root them. What is the best way to go about this?

Comments (9)

• georgez5il
    18 years ago

Use cuttings of FIRM NEW GROWTH, apply 0.8% IBA (rooting hormone) stick in well drained soil & mist taking 30-80 days to root

• Celtic_Cultures
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Many thanks

• tania
    18 years ago

Hey this is great! I've had trouble finding sunshine blue this year and last year, now I know I can start new plants from my own!

Tania ~_~

• tania
    18 years ago

I wasn't planning on starting any cuttings any time soon but now I have to! I went out into the garden yesterday and found 3 snapped off firm new branches. I suspect a cat caused the damage, or my dog going after one. Celtic, thanks for asking on how to propogate them and George, thanks for responding!

Tania ~_~

• masaquah
    17 years ago

How important in propagating softwood blueberry cuttings (highbush varieties) is the rooting medium? Will crushed willow leaves soaked in water do the job?
    Also, if I stick them in a pot, 50%sand/50% peat as culture and put that inside a large plastic baggy with slits for ventilation, (outdoors in the shade) will it suffice if I mist the cuttings and the inside of the baggy say, four times a day? Or does the mist have to be constant?

• willameadows
    17 years ago

Check out this web page for detailed information. Not all blueberries are created equal when it comes to propagation - the only way to know whether or not yours will root is to try! http://berrygrape.oregonstate.edu/fruitgrowing/berrycrops/blueberry/propagat.htm

• buylady
    13 years ago

oh wow so glad i found this page but i can't goto the link says link can't be found..wow i root a lot plants i'm going to try it for sure thx so much George for info

• plaidbird
    13 years ago

Found the link:

Here is a link that might be useful: http://berrygrape.org/blueberry-propagation/

• trovesoftrilliums
    12 years ago

I am hoping for info on propagating blueberries in zone 5. Specifically, if I get plants to root by late summer and then pot them up, any thoughts on how likely they would be to survive outside under mulch? I think a line out bed would be a better option, but that would involve me building a line out bed. Alternatively, I wonder if I could possibly keep them growing inside potted up under the grow lights I use for seed germination. The berrygrape (for the Northwest region) link above states that plants may be grown in a green house over winter for additional growth.
    Any thoughts appreciated.