Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Upright elephant ear-Ways to propagate

Posted by kristirob 8a/8b (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 20, 12 at 11:34

I just bought an upright elephant ear, I know I can divide this plant at root level later. What I am interested in is other ways to start a new plant. It seems like at some point I read or heard you can cut a leaf off at the stalk and grow a new plant. Have I imagined this or is this possible? Also, it is in a 1 1/2 gallon pot, it has four huge leafs on it and is about 4 ft, is this pot too small?

Thank you in advance! ;)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Upright elephant ear-Ways to propagate

Kris, the only way this old gardener knows how to propagate EE's is from the root. You need to make sure each cutting has at least one leaf bud or 'eye' to make a new plant.

It is in much too small a pot - eventually, it will need a 24-gallon pot. Why don't you have it planted in the ground, where it will multiply like rabbits? This plant gets HUGE, with a bulb the size of a bucket, if given the room to grow.

o

Agreed, next year, there should be a whole crop of baby bulbs you can harvest and plant elsewhere.

o

Thank you! I had a feeling this was the only way to do it. I also was sure that the pot they have this thing is is way small for it. I do plan to plant it in a partial shade location right next to the back wall of my house. We do get some pretty bad winters every now and then, I was wondering will it die back to the ground level? If I cover it through the nights where it gets the coldest will it make it through the winter with foliage?

o

Unfortunately the foliage will die back as the ground cools, not much you can do about it. But take heart in knowing the bulb is busy getting ready to put on an even bigger show next year, and making those baby bulbs. My biggest one is by a north wall, sounds like a good idea. It's already made a pup since I moved it there earlier this spring.

o

I've been able to get low hanging shoots to root by mounting some soil on top of them. Didn't even need to make a small cut on their underside. And my parent plan is growing some massive leaves!

o

Wow man, you ain't kiddin'!

o

Is that an upright elephant ear? It is a beautiful plant, but I thought upright EEs had the pointy end of the leaf pointing skyward. See Google Images below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Images - Upright Elephant Ears

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here