Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water-to-soil transplanting?

Posted by bruggo (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 1, 08 at 11:52

I have a 5yr old Night Blooming Cereus which has always been kept in water. It is about 30" tall with several branched leaves off the original leaf and one of the branches is a 15" long stem with one large leaf at the end. It fully bloomed only once about four years ago.
1)How should I transplant this to soil (what kind and how big a pot) without damaging the roots and root hairs?
2)The long stem has some short, rootlike tendrils extending from it. Does the stem need cutting back?
3)What kind of fertilizer (& how much) does this require?
4)Pls suggest a good reference for this plant type.

Thanks in advance, Bruggo in Gloucester, Ma.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water-to-soil transplanting?

The 'water roots" will not survive in soil SO>>>> Take a cutting at the point where the leaf narrows. allow to air dry then apply 0.1% IBA (Rooting hormone) stick in well drained soil ...keep soil damp not wet & no direct sun & little/no draft

o
RE: Water-to-soil transplanting?

Besides taking a cutting as George suggests for insurance I would attempt the transplant to soil. I would cut back the foliage by about a third and shorten up the roots also. If you have Mycorrhizal fungi available I would sprinkle it on the roots. Hold the plant by the foliage suspended over a pot of the appropriate size and fill the pot with a good potting mix. Tamp the mix down to exclude excess air and set the pot in a bath of water until the surface glistens from the water. Take the pot out of the water and keep in a well lighted,but not sunny area for a week or two. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here