Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
silver maple cuttings

Posted by timmah (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 31, 06 at 12:25

Im working on propagating a Northline maple. Its been 100 degrees here in minnesota for a few days, but im keeping them nice and fogged so hopefully theyll live through it. I took the cuttings late (one week ago) and i was wondering what should be done for overwintering them? I have small 3" pots to put each one in once theyve rooted. Is it common practice to transfer to a peat mix media after decent rooting has occured? How should i over winter them? thanks for any help.

Tim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: silver maple cuttings

Why don't you start over in the spring and not worry about overwintering the cuttings? They are not going to thrive over the winter, no matter what you do.

o

Actually, while doing research on these cuttings, I learned that they should be done in late june/early july. I did them in later july, so im not that far off of the mark. They still have a few months to develop a root system in the sand and possibly in the media mix if i decide that is the route to go. Would it make sence to just plant them in the ground after a decent root zone has been established and hope for the best over the winter? or take more drastic steps to ensure their survival?

o

Your first freeze comes awfully early that far north. Do you have any way to keep them indoors over your long winter?
If you took a number of cuttings, what if you planted half in the ground and tried keeping the other half alive indoors until planting time in the spring? I think it is important that they go in a good potting mix or into the ground as soon as possible. Sand is acceptable for rooting, but it is a poor medium for growing, even with supplemental fertilization.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here