Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pippi21

Creeping phlox propagation

pippi21
12 years ago

Two days ago I dug up my one and only Emerald Blue creeping phlox. I planted 3 "hunks" on Monday, and put the rest in a bucket of water until I could get to it today. After planting it all out, I prunned it back lightly about 2 or 3 inches. Is there any reason that I can't take those short pieces, remove the bottom foliage, dip the stems into Rootone and pot them up in small pots? I figure if the cuttings take, I'll have more plants come late Fall to overwinter for next year's blooming season.

I saw where Bluestone has Emerald blue creeping phlox available Fall 2011. Has anyone had any experience ordering the plants and if they were successful in growing them? Usually creeping phlox are one of the first perennials to be put out in the garden centers, and if you don't get them within a few days when they are available..you're out of luck. For some reason I can't think of going to the garden center/nurseries for anything in Feb. when it's so cold. I have 2 1/2 in.and 3 1/2 in plus 4 in. nursery pots that I can use to start them in. I plan to keep them in shade as much as possible during this hot weather. It's 91 now, and I'm done working outside for today.

Comment (1)