Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Creeping phlox propagation

Posted by pippi21 Zone 6b Silver Sprin (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 13, 11 at 12:43

Two days ago I dug up my one and only Emerald Blue creeping phlox. I planted 3 "hunks" on Monday, and put the rest in a bucket of water until I could get to it today. After planting it all out, I prunned it back lightly about 2 or 3 inches. Is there any reason that I can't take those short pieces, remove the bottom foliage, dip the stems into Rootone and pot them up in small pots? I figure if the cuttings take, I'll have more plants come late Fall to overwinter for next year's blooming season.

I saw where Bluestone has Emerald blue creeping phlox available Fall 2011. Has anyone had any experience ordering the plants and if they were successful in growing them? Usually creeping phlox are one of the first perennials to be put out in the garden centers, and if you don't get them within a few days when they are available..you're out of luck. For some reason I can't think of going to the garden center/nurseries for anything in Feb. when it's so cold. I have 2 1/2 in.and 3 1/2 in plus 4 in. nursery pots that I can use to start them in. I plan to keep them in shade as much as possible during this hot weather. It's 91 now, and I'm done working outside for today.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Creeping phlox propagation

• Posted by pippi21 Zone 6b Silver Sprin (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 14, 11 at 0:36

We had almost an inch of rain this afternoon which was much needed and we had about 1/4 of an inch Monday night after I had transplanted the 3 large "hunks" of creeping phlox, so that will help them. I will watch them carefully and water them every day it doesn't rain. That bed doesn't get the hottest sun until mid afternoon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here