Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
laurus nobilis - Bay leaf tree propagation

Posted by santi_rodriguez (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 2, 07 at 12:56

I have a neighbour who has a huge bay leaf tree, full of shoots from the roots, he offered me some before cutting them. I really love the tree and i would want some tips on how to get this shoots to root, without using rooting hormone. I heard honey works, but how do i do it? How do I get them to root?(It is winter here right now)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: laurus nobilis - Bay leaf tree propagation

I use cuttings of firm new growth .. Apply 0.3% IBA (Rooting Hormone) stick in well drained soil & mist taking 30-70 days to root...... Honey draws flies But will not help rooting.

o

Will work without the rooting hormone?
What are my chances of succes without it?
Thanks

o

for many classically difficult to propagate species, when attempting to root cuttings, there is often some benefit to be gained by generating warmth below the roots. this can be done in any number of way- including, but not limited to burying fresh compost a significant distance below the root zone of the soil, and placing pots on a pile of hot compost, or above a current of warm air. due to the danger of mold involved in bay propagation, compost may or may not be risky.
in a possibly more direct practice, rooting may be encouraged with the use of willow. the dry leaves may be crushed and mixed in with the planting medium, or applied as a mulch. a tea can also be brewed hot or cold of the fresh or dried leaves(let to cool if brewed hot). also-i may add that this is my preference- the fresh or dried leaves and stems of willow may be placed in a large watertight container with half their volume of water, and allowed to ferment for anywhere from 3-180 days before using the tea to assist in root development. for shorter brewing times, an addition of no more than 1% of any variety vinegar can be added to assist in the process.
if willow is not readily available in your location this point may be of no use. the fermented tea of willow is comparable in its effectiveness to commercial rooting hormone, but is not petroleum derived, and does not stimulate root growth by mutating existing cell tissue into a state of rooting, but by encouraging new root tissue cells to grow from existing tissues. again, due to the common dependance of bay cuttings on high humidity and the risk of mold to their success, the fermentation or direct application methods may not provide maximum effectiveness.

o

With your neighbors tree producing lots of root suckers, you should be able to dig up rooted suckers and save yourself time and work. Evergreen trees are still growing in the winter but SLOWLY. Cuttings taken when the new growth is rapid would be easier to root, with or without hormone. Hormone formulas also contain fungicides with help prevent mold of the cutting. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here