Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sedum cuttings

Posted by daninthedirt 8b / HZ10 Central T (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 13:20

Can someone point me to some good instructions for propagating sedum by cuttings? I snipped a couple of lower leaves of near the single stem of what looks to be creeping sedum, in a small pot, and stuck those in good potting soil. Kept it moist. Three weeks later, the leaves have rotted away, and I'm frankly not sure what has happened. I hope to see something green popping up from there those leaves were stuck in the soil, but my optimism may be fading.

If I had two stems, I'd just divide the plant. But I don't have that option.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sedum cuttings

Another thread with some good info:

Here is a link that might be useful: Sedum - How to take cuttings

o

In most cases, it's much harder to get sedum cuttings, or even whole leaves, not to root, than it is to be successful. They are so easy that you have to work to make it not work.

When I propagate sedums, I take cuttings, leave them laying out long enough to dry the cuts out well (at least 24 hours, more for larger cuttings), and then plant them in pretty much any decent well-draining potting soil. I water them lightly, once, and then forget about them for a while. Watering them often will only encourage rot.

It sounds like overwatering may have been the problem in the case above.

o

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. I kept the soil quite moist, and I even put a small plastic bag over the pot to seal in the humidity. So maybe I'll try it again with less aggressive hydration. I'll keep the original pot around.

Should I expect the leaf cutting, implanted in the soil, to shrivel up and die, or should I expect them to stay green?

o

I'd like to know more about how big these "leaf cuttings" are and exactly how the cuttings are made. Entire leaves of larger-leaved types root easily. Smaller-leaved types may require stem cuttings. In either case, the cutting will have to remain green to survive. A dead (brown) cutting is not going to grow.

o

The leaves I was trying to root were about an inch and a half long. Stuck them halfway in the soil. Too small?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here