Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Euphorbia 'Diamond Frost' cuttings in water

Posted by mary_littlerockar 7b (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 27, 09 at 13:33

How many roots should a cutting of Euphorbia 'Diamond Frost' have before moving into potting soil? The cutting has now been in water for five days and the longest roots are about one inch:

From __Garden Flowers - plants

I'd like to propagate a lot of plants from the mama plant to use as filler for my beds.

From __Garden Flowers - plants

As always, my thanks for your time and advice.

Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Euphorbia 'Diamond Frost' cuttings in water

I let mine get about 3/4 to 1 inch in length. I love these too. They are so easy to root. I've tried rooting them directly in soil, but they don't root that way. Water is definitely the way to go. They make good houseplants in the winter. Don't they.

o

Thank you so much for this information. I need to get that one out of the water and potted! I've been waiting to hear from someone and now my cutting has a gob of roots. Rooting things in water is very new to me. It's good to know that it can be rooted and potted within a matter of a week. How great is that.

I don't have experience with over wintering this plant so it's also helpful to know it will do well as a houseplant. My plan is to over winter mama plant and come next spring, I'll be set to go.

Mary

o

Mary - You did right. You want as many roots as possible. Your plant will do so well since you let it get big roots. As long as the plant is green you're good to go. I planted mine directly outside in pots. They didn't wilt or anything. Put in a very sunny window/location inside.

o
More

Mary - You did right. You want as many roots as possible. Your plant will do so well since you let it get big roots. As long as the plant is green you're good to go. I planted mine directly outside in pots. They didn't wilt or anything. Put in a very sunny window/location inside.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here