Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pepper cuttings questions

Posted by kuvaszlvr 6b (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 25, 11 at 14:31

hello, I have a question concerning propagation. I grow 60+ varieties of hot peppers that I sell (the plants) at the local herb festivals. So far I have always grown from seed, but I have been looking at cuttings this year. It's hard to find much information on it so I was hoping someone here might have some info. I have read that the plants get smaller with each successive cutting (this is of interest to me because my plans are to take cuttings soon to overwinter and then later in the year take cuttings off of the first clones to grow out plants for the festivals.) Collecting seeds is such a pain, (especially trying to do it in 100+ temps) cuttings sounds much simpler. I was also wondered which peppers tend to do best from cuttings, so far, in an experiment, my bhut cuttings are looking great. I grow peppers from anchos through the bhuts. I have read people saying that their plants propagated from cuttings produces sooner and produces just as much as plants started from seed.

my questions:
Do they lose viability with each successive cutting?
Is there a change in fruit production with successive cuttings, and if size is affected, is it obvious?
Which peppers (if there is any real variability) propagate best from cuttings?

I want to produce the best possible plants for my customers. I've been taking and growing cuttings for years, but this is my first attempt at peppers. Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pepper cuttings questions

In time the plants will reach the same height & spread if from seed or cuttings...
The real concern is how much space do you have to grow & heat requirements during the winter.....Also the addition time requirement to prepare stock plants & then take the cuttings needed for next year...
Spring 2012 have some plants from seed & others from cuttings & let customers make choice ...THEN...let us known the results.....

o
RE: pepper cuttings questions

Okey Dokey. I had planned on some from seed and some from cuttings, so it will be no problem. Luckily we have a sunroom and a 8' x 26' greenhouse. Biggest problem is heating it in the winter, if it gets too cold I just bring everything into the sunroom, luckily that doesn't happen often.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here