Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wrong 'coarse sand' for intermittent mist system?

Posted by liflow FL (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 8, 10 at 14:32

I'd really appreciate a bit of advice here...

I built a basic intermittent mist system and got some sand at Lowes. This is the stuff: http://www.quikrete.com/ProductLines/SandAllPurpose.asp

It says "coarse" and "sand" on the bag so based on the threads I'd been lurking I hoped it'd be fine. It looks fine on the surface but if I cut into it with a putty knife or pat the flat surface with my hand, it becomes soup...

The sand is in a wooden box with a 1/24 slope with weed-stop fabric covering a drainage slot on the low edge.

Is my issue the box? Should I put a gravel layer under the sand to help it all run to the edge?

Or is this sand just the wrong stuff?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wrong 'coarse sand' for intermittent mist system?

If this is coarse sand then no further preperation is needed (gravel etc.....)go for it.

o

Okay, I'm going for it! Thanks...

o

I've had the best luck with "Paver Sand". At my local big box store they have it in the garden section. It's more coarse that Play sand and All Purpose sand and I can tell that water goes through it a lot faster.

o

Bradford Pear
I rooted Bradford pears in to weeks with my home made intermittent system, if your sand becomes soup-you are misting to offten, bed not deep enough or not a raised bed!
Any local concret mixer will sale you course sand, I bought a 1/2 ton of it from Ready Mix and it was $15.00! works great.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here