Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagation Options

Posted by GardenStater11 NJ (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 15, 12 at 14:35

Hi,

I'm new to gardening. I always like taking thing to the maximum. So i am fascinated with cloning existing plants I have. I am currently trying to propagate a few things, walkers low, clematis, salvia and some random flowers. I have Clonex and Dip n Grow. Ive tried a few different medias and environments. I used jiffy peat pellets that I re hydrated, stuck the cutting in and put outside in the dome with the lid cracked and occasionally misted the plant. I also stuck some in some miracle grow seed starting mix, which seems to be mostly peat. so far its to early to say if anything has worked, but Im not to confident in the jiffy pellets + dome as some are not looking good already.

I really want to nail this cloning thing and have started thinking of a few different options. Right now it is mid summer and very hot out and I am keeping the cutting out of direct sunlight for the most part. I'm not sure if that is ok or not.

I am wondering if I built a mini aeroponic system using existing aquarium products I have and a few hydroponic products, if I could root flower cuttings that way.

I am also wondering if brought the cuttings indoor and put them into my aquarium with a heating pad underneath and the florescent light using a peat/perlite medium and misting constantly.

I am mostly interested in rooting my 8 different clematis and would love to get some new plants by the winter. Any help is very appreciated. My biggest confusion comes with how to keep the cuttings outdoors while they are rooting and if I can use the peat pellets with success.

I thank anyone who gives me the time to respond and answer my questions. I know it is a lot and confusing but any help would really be awesome. This site is incredibly informative and I cant thank you all enough for helping me get started!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagation Options

i have never found ANY use for peat pots... frankly.. based on my historical multitude of failures with them.. i decided you needed to use them in a very high tech greenhouse ... of which.. you aint got ...

i would suggest.. that you find the latin name of anything you are trying to 'propagate'.. and the add that word after.. and google every single plant for information about how to do it ... otherwise.. you are basically asking us to write the book for you ... in a post reply ...

you might also want to look into Dirr's book on propagation of woody plants ....

there are no generalized all encompassing rules.. that shotgun every plant ...

but one i might suggest .. is most of this is not done.. with cutting.. in summer ... air layering is.. but not cuttings.. but general rules are usually wrong .. lol .. just wait and see .. lol

also ... there are very specific requirements to the age of the wood that will root ...

also google nearing frames.. the first link looks pretty interesting:

http://users.stargate.net/~rocketmn/nearing.htm

and finally.. i would suggest you learn to sterilize EVERYTHING ... 10% bleach for the hardware.. and temp for media ... see link ...

good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here