Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenstater11

Propagation Options

GardenStater11
11 years ago

Hi,

I'm new to gardening. I always like taking thing to the maximum. So i am fascinated with cloning existing plants I have. I am currently trying to propagate a few things, walkers low, clematis, salvia and some random flowers. I have Clonex and Dip n Grow. Ive tried a few different medias and environments. I used jiffy peat pellets that I re hydrated, stuck the cutting in and put outside in the dome with the lid cracked and occasionally misted the plant. I also stuck some in some miracle grow seed starting mix, which seems to be mostly peat. so far its to early to say if anything has worked, but Im not to confident in the jiffy pellets + dome as some are not looking good already.

I really want to nail this cloning thing and have started thinking of a few different options. Right now it is mid summer and very hot out and I am keeping the cutting out of direct sunlight for the most part. I'm not sure if that is ok or not.

I am wondering if I built a mini aeroponic system using existing aquarium products I have and a few hydroponic products, if I could root flower cuttings that way.

I am also wondering if brought the cuttings indoor and put them into my aquarium with a heating pad underneath and the florescent light using a peat/perlite medium and misting constantly.

I am mostly interested in rooting my 8 different clematis and would love to get some new plants by the winter. Any help is very appreciated. My biggest confusion comes with how to keep the cuttings outdoors while they are rooting and if I can use the peat pellets with success.

I thank anyone who gives me the time to respond and answer my questions. I know it is a lot and confusing but any help would really be awesome. This site is incredibly informative and I cant thank you all enough for helping me get started!

Comment (1)