Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mscolere_gw

Creeping Thyme/ Whitleys Speedwell /Scotch/Irish Moss Propagation

mscolere
15 years ago

I am in the process of pre planning for next spring for phase 2 of my 3 phase landscaping project. I am in the process of smothering my grass this year and will be replacing my former lawn with existing varieties of creeping thyme (elfin and bressingham pink), whitley's speedwell, scotch moss and irish moss next spring. The plants I have vary in size and age. My Bressingham pink thyme is 3 years old and consists of 6 plants when they were first planted. My whitley's speedwell is only 2 plants worth at 3 years old. The elfin thyme (6 plants), and both moss's (2 plants each) were purchased this year.

Does anyone know when and how to propagate my existing plant to be able to create full flats of plugs? I have never done this before and I donÂt even know where to start. In all I will need a flat of each variety (total 4 to 5 flats X 72 plugs) to fill the are when I will be replacing my front lawn. Is it even possible to propagate these plants in the spring when the are dormant? Or would I have to wait until they start growing again in the spring?

Your help is much appreciated!!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA