Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to move cuttings into a cold frame or outside?

Posted by ljwz 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 1, 11 at 14:59

Hello, My name is Lisa and I am new to gardening. I live in the Chicago area. I put a few plants, mostly wild flowers, in my previously barren front yard this year. However, my adorable toddlers who are a continual "help" in the garden have crushed a few plants. A fern, cardinal plant, and bee balm. Almost two weeks ago I attempted to plant cuttings from the broken stems of the cardinal plant and bee balm. One immediately died and the others have not wilted yet. One has shown some new growth. I trimmed the cuttings, dipped the end in rooting hormone, and covered it in a plastic bag. This is what I read to do in a book I got from the library. I just bought an inexpensive cold frame and I am wondering if I can put the plants in there instead of my kitchen counter. Can I put brand new cuttings in a cold frame? Will they still need to be in a plastic bag if in the cold frame? And how will I know when I can put them in the ground? Any tips or advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to move cuttings into a cold frame or outside?

You posted two weeks ago with no comments and it is probably too late to help you now. I would hesitate to tell you to put them in the cold frame because I don't know enough about the temperatures of your cold frame, but have an idea about your kitchen counter. I would not expect roots for at least a month, and during that time you will need to watch your cuttings and vent them every couple of days to prevent growing mold on the soil and the cutting stem at soil level. When you can leave the tent off for 30 minutes or longer without the cutting wilting, you MIGHT have roots started. Sorry I did not see your post earlier. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here