Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting a clematis

Posted by reagansgrandma SC (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 2, 09 at 15:05

I am new to rooting plants so I will treasure this groups advice. My desire is to root some clematis from my former beautiful vine. I did not know I should never plant clematis close to a tree. Well the tree was small when planted there and now the vine looks to be dying. I have gathered some seeds from it but have been told it is difficult to grow from seed by an amateur.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooting a clematis

layering is the easiest way. although cuttings aren't too bad either. take a stem that will reach the ground easily. nick the second or third node(where the leaves come out) from the tip. dust with rooting compound. bury the node in the ground next to the mother plant. cover with soil and water. then either stake it in place with a landscape staple or a rock. it should be well rooted and ready to be moved before the end of the season.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here