Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raspberry and Blackberry Duplicates

Posted by cattt (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 16, 05 at 15:32

Hi Everyone,

I would like to know what the process of duplicating an exact raspberry bush.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raspberry and Blackberry Duplicates

Most blackberries will tip root. It's been so long since I had raspberries that I can't remember, but I believe they just send up new canes from the roots each year, which can be dug. Black raspberries are more trailing, but don't remember if they tip rooted.

Blackberries are root propagated for large scale production of new plants and I suspect raspberries are done the same way. Maybe someone else can tell you for sure, but I would say it is done in very late winter or early spring. I have seen root cuttings of blackberry for sale, so I am sure they are quite easy to do.

Might want to post this question on the gruit forum.

o
New Raspberry plants - help

• Posted by magan 4, S-W Ontario (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 12, 08 at 14:36

I hope you can help. I dug out red raspberry plants with roots from other garden with plan to plant them in mine. They were individual long new canes. I left them overnight in garage and when I came to plant them, all leaves were dry. I planted them anyway and watered them. I don't know if I should cut them shorter or if there is anything else I can do with them to keep them alive.
Thank you.

o
RE: Raspberry and Blackberry Duplicates

I would like to know what the process of duplicating an exact raspberry bush.
Raspberries usually throw up lots of suckers. They are the new plants, and those canes will be bearing fruit the next season. Old vines/brambles can be cut back/off, once fruit production is over for the season.

I don't know if I should cut them shorter or if there is anything else I can do with them to keep them alive.
Yes, Magan, I would cut them back. I think you will be cutting off next seasons fruit (maybe), but at least it will maybe help the plant survive. I'd cut them back to about 12-24 inches or so. Possibly others will have other ideas too. I think they will be fine. Oftentimes berries suffer, yet survive drought like conditions.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here