Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pothos, other tropicals propagation in H2O

Posted by garden_tink 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 5, 07 at 15:48

Hi, I was rooting some pothos cuttings in my window sill and they took root, no problem, thing is, some of the nicer leaves came off in the whole cutting process so I stuck them in another jar with water, too. They rooted! Do leaves of plants do that well? I've already transplanted it (three leaves) with lots of circling roots into a pot of soil and it hasnt changed a bit, still alive, but not doesn't appear to be growing. Will it take on a body of it's own? I had a japanese aralia launch a leaf into the water also, I just noticed it had roots at the tip of the stem where it disengaged the tip cutting. Curious.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pothos, other tropicals propagation in H2O

Many plants will develop roots on the petioles of leaves not not stem tissue. You need to take stem cuttings for that to occur.

I remember one guy who carefully rooted a large rubber plant leaf. It sure did grow some great roots, but never a single bit of stem! Hilarious.

o

Thank you for the reply. I have to laugh, then, I'm in with the rubber plant guy, I guess. Well, they look nice in my container garden for now, when they go roots up, I'll pull them. These did definitly form roots ant the very ends of the leaf stems where they snapped off the plant stem. Strange.
Garden Tink

o

There are plants you can start with a leaf, african violet, gloxinia, started right in the dirt. jade leaf layed on dirt, will develop into a plant.

o

I am having trouble rooting my pothos cuttings. I have successfully rooted fiddle leaf figs, rubber plants and dracaena marginadas but my pothos cuttings just rot. I put them in a south facing window because that's what's always worked for the rest. Is it possible that I need to let the cuttings dry for a couple hours before I put them in water? Am I not cutting them in the right place? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here