Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to progate creeping phlox

Posted by diggerb2 z5oh (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 07 at 16:45

I have three nice hunks of creeping phlox that i'd like to get rooted and transplant to other parts of the garden.
right now they droop about 12-18 inches over a 2 foot high tall stone wall next to the sidewalk. so how do i root them.

put a pot of soil under them, pin them down to the soil and keep them well watered until they root and get established and then cut them off and movethem else where? is this something i sould do next spring for better results?

thanks diggerb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to progate creeping phlox

I had lots of creeping phlox when I lived in Wisconsin, when I wanted to root more of it I would just tear some of it off the main 'mass' making sure I got some roots--which is pretty easy cuz it has lots of tiny little roots.
I'd just tuck it into a different spot and water it, sometimes I would put a tiny bit of mulch or some small rocks around it to hold it down and then water it. It almost always would take root somehow into the ground and spread along just fine with almost no special care. If you prefer to start it in pots, I'd do just about the same thing--just tear some off and set it on some dirt in a pot and water it. In pots you will likely have to water more often, but It grows almost as easily as a sedum. maryt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here