Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
x207

placing mint leaves for animal deterrent

x207
10 years ago

this isn't exactly on topic but I don't plan to grow mint plant in the garden. its more to get extra info before I have to deal with any possible mint plant takeover.

my parent's garden is subjected to digging episodes by either skunks or raccoons. the garbage cans have on occasion been opened and we've seen skunks sulking around a few times. its been like that for 3 years and luckily they only attack a small corner where few if no plants a there. our neighbors had 50% dug up overnight once.

im thinking of buying dried mint leaves (crushed) and placing them in the soil of the affected areas. will I need to take precautions to avoid having mint leaves growing roots?

if it works for that tiny area, are they liable to go dig up the untouched areas of the garden or just find a different location to go digging? my parents like very much the unaffected areas where 90% of the plants are located.

my parents don't particularly mind them chosing a small patch of garden but they still would rather see the animals chose a different location off the property to forage.

Comments (2)