Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with succulent cuttings

Posted by jaxdesign Sonoma County (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 18, 09 at 17:49

Hello everyone, this is a great forum and I am glad to be here.

I am a college student, and I have been gardening for the past 3 years. I have four raised beds filled with vegies, flowers, and native plants of California.

My question is about cuttings. I have tried taking cuttings of ceanothus, baccharis, honeysuckle, rose, and a few succulents. I have followed guides, which told me to remove unnecessary leaves, wound the nodes, and soak the cuttings in root hormone. I have done all of this, and yet all of my cuttings, besides the resilient honeysuckle, have wilted and failed to root.

Every week or so I mix root hormone and water to encourage the cuttings to root, but only one or two thin roots come out of the nodes. More often than not the stem begins to decompose and the cutting wilts.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I really want to learn how to propagate through cuttings. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with succulent cuttings

YOU SHOULD USE A WELL DRAINED SOIL & MIST THE CUTTINGS OFTEN.
DILUTING HORMONE IN WATER & APPLYING TO CUTTINGS IS A WAST OF TIME & MONEY.
THE ROSE IS SO EASY TO ROOT I OFTEN JUST STICK CUTTINGS IN SOIL OUTSIDE WITHOUT HORMONE & MIST..... SO....I WILL ASSUME THERE IS SOMETHING ELSE GOING ON YOU ARE NOT TELLING US?

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 24, 09 at 16:17

I will address succulents. Instructions can vary with different types, but the following can be used for most succulents.

Most succulents are extremely easy to root. Take a cutting by cutting just below a node. Or, if the succulent can easily be broken off at a node, do that. Next, leave the cutting in a semi-shaded spot (or inside) and exposed to air for about a day (at least a few hours, maybe even a few days for really large cuttings) until it seals itself off. The optimal time will vary a little bit depending on the species and size of the cutting. You do not want the cutting to wilt, but you do want to make sure the cut is dry. Do NOT wound the cutting. Wounding the cutting or planting with a fresh cut may lead to rot. Usually, rooting hormone is not used. Water sparingly, but don't let the soil completely dry out down at root level.

o

In addition to what was said; consider covering the cutting with 2L coke bottle cut in half - the cutting will root in three to four weeks.
Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here