Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Monarda rooting... easy to do???

Posted by klaire2001 PA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 13, 06 at 18:45

My husband has cut me off from buying new plants... so desperate times call for desperate measures! :-)

Has anyone has luck with Monarda (bee balm) ... in willow water? Can I use sand medium and water with willow? Or do i need to do straight water.

Any if anyone is in York County, PA and has natives I could clip for rooting... please let me know.

- Claire

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Monarda rooting... easy to do???

The water vs. soil debate goes on, but if you will put some cuttings in potting soil and keep them moist and in the shade, they will root. Water roots are useless in soil. Make sure that at least two leaf nodes are buried, and that there are at least two leaf buds and preferably leaves above soil level.

o

I don't know if Monarda will root easily or not. I suspect, yes, but my question is, why would you need to? It's such a fast spreader, that if you you have access to some cuttings, surely the owner can provide even a few small root sections, which is all you'll need. I've divided second year plants to share, and I've still had more than I needed the next year.

o

Monardas root easily but divide even better - If you take very small divisions (they are constantly popping up new shoots with roots), you can easily get 20 or more from one plant, possibly without overly disturbing the parent plant! Just dig out the shoots at the edges of the plant - spring is the best time to do this. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here