Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Bulbs for Grow Lights?

Posted by mcubb none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 26, 11 at 19:00

Alright so I have a 4 foot hood that holds two bulbs. I've heard of people using two different bulbs together. White? Soft? I dont know. If the plants i'm growing matter they are a few fruit tree seedlings and basil. So which bulb combination would give me the best results?

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Bulbs for Grow Lights?

The two bulb solution is a incandescent bulb & a daylight fluorescent bulb
OR a wide spectrum fluorescent bulb & a plant grow light.
There is another forum dealing with growing under lights they will be able to offer other suggestions

o

Does the light fixture come with a ballast, if it has a ballast and has a mogul base (bigger than standard socket) it needs a HPS or MH bulb.

o

the cheapest plain old fluorescent bulbs you can buy ...

replaced once per year ...

and the only variable in my experience.. is keeping the bulbs within about 2 inches of the plant ... meaning the fixture or the table has to be adjustable as to height ...

its more about INTENSITY of light.. rather than type of light ...

this is based on hosta.. annuals.. and conifers

ken

ps: bottom heat doesnt hurt either.. if you are in the basement ....

o

There are lots of variables that need to be taken into consideration for a proper answer. I'll give you one simplistic, but hopefully useful, answer...

If you are doing this temporarily and want to do it for a reasonably inexpensive price, go with fluorescent fixtures. The type of light is VERY important. Wavelengths (specified in degrees Kelvin), too short or too long, can have a considerable negative effect on plant growth. I use T12 bulbs in the extra-cheap workshop light fixtures they sell at Home Depot. Each fixture holds 2 bulbs, and I place the fixtures as close as they will go (with the included reflectors in place). Each of my 4' x 1 1/2' shelves are covered with 3 fixtures (6 bulbs). I use a mix of 4100K and 5000K bulbs. This setup gives a result pretty close to natural sunlight*. The cost of the bulbs and fixtures are about as reasonable as any possible new-equipment solution.

* Natural sunlight (depending on how/when it's measured) peaks at a little lower wavelength (higher temperature) than the 4100-5000K, but the best effective spectrum for most plants is actually pretty close to the values I use. The reasons are probably a little technical for this discussion, but I just wanted to point out that there is a reason to use somewhere around the temperature range I mentioned.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here