Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagating Blackberries from stem 'cuttings?'

Posted by ourfamilygarden 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 20, 06 at 19:10

Hi. We have wild blackberries in our backyard. They are grown in my herb garden. Our lawn guy came today, and took his hedgeclippers and cut down a couple of large healthy ones that would have produced wonderful fruit for next year! He then tossed them on top of my herbs.

My ? is: Will these branches root if I dip them in rooting hormone and in soil? Any advice on the best way to help them to successfully root?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagating Blackberries from stem 'cuttings?'

I think blackberries are easier propagated by root cuttings. Not sure whether the canes will root.

Janie

o

• Posted by
    plant.babies Zone 8-9 .... maybe
    (gw:plant.babies) on
    Fri, Jul 21, 06 at 17:51

Janie,

what is a "root cutting" specifically?

thank you,
pb

o

Hmmmm? I never heard of propagatiing them by root cuttings. Interesting. We've had them for years in our yard, and they grow from the seeds that drop off. But, since some of them were so butchered, I wanted to try to save the branches that were cut down.

Pb, here is an interesting site that explains root cuttings:
http://www.hcs.ohio-state.edu/mg/manual/prop2.htm

I have taken a lot of the branches and put them in 1 part top soil/1 part sand mixture. They were already shriveling up. They wilt very quickly when cut. I hope they will root.

Just as an added note, I did find another site that recommended tip cutting for blackberries:

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0705/blackberry_layering.asp

Of course, that will not help me under these circumstances.

o

• Posted by
    plant.babies Zone 8-9 .... maybe
    (gw:plant.babies) on
    Sat, Jul 22, 06 at 14:34

cool! Can't wait to try root cuttings for lots of plants.

thank you.
d

o

Bear in mind that all plants will not grow from root cuttings, or will be VERY difficult to grow, at least.

Also, often, plants grown from root cuttings will not be identical to the parent plant, as is the case in stem cuttings.

I suppose what I am talking about cutting in blackberries is the underground runners. This is how blackberries spread, and do it with a vengence in many cases. I am not sure now if these runners are stems or roots, but we cut them and move them, in any case.

Janie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here