Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrishark86

Crape Myrtle propagation

chrishark86
12 years ago

Hello everybody, I'm new here, and I've been searching around on crape Myrtle propagation. I feel like I'm doing everything right, but I'm wondering why it is taking so long for my cuttings to root. Let me tell you about my setup... I have a 95qt rubbermaid clear storage bin, no lid, sitting next to a northeast facing window. I am using a walgreens humidifier with a 1" tube feeding into the storage bin, that is set, by timer, to fog out the bin every 4 minutes, for one minute, from 6am till 9pm. With the lid off, the leaves have time to dry before the next on time. House stays at 75-78 degrees. I haven't had any problems with fungus. All the leaves are staying nice and green. I have pulled a couple cuttings that have been in there for more than 2 1/2 weeks, and they haven't even began to root. Am I just being impatient? The sections of the cuttings in the medium are much darker than the sections above the medium. From what I've read, they should root much quicker. I have about 10 cuttings of muskogee, and about 20 of this nice dark pink crape from work. The medium is quikcrete corse multi-purpose sand.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio