Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Persian Shield

Posted by barb_roselover_in 5a IN (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 14, 11 at 19:59

I love this plant, but mine in a container is getting out of hand. I would like to propagate it but found that just cutting it off and planting did no good, so what is the correct way to do it? Has anybody had any experience with this plant? Also, can it be kept over the winter under lights? Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Persian Shield

I love this plant, but mine in a container is getting out of hand.
Isn't it fun how fast these grow?!

I would like to propagate it but found that just cutting it off and planting did no good, so what is the correct way to do it?
This *should* work. I usually start my cuttings in a jar of water, though. Cut a piece with about 3 nodes below the growth tip. Remove all of the leaves except the ones at the tip. If the tip leaves are large, cut them in half. If you want to try cuttings in soil again, do the same process of leaf-removal, and use moist but not soggy soil. Place it somewhere with very little direct sun. Do not let it dry out.

Has anybody had any experience with this plant?
Yes! It's my #1 favorite plant. My last ones died out when I moved 3 times in 2007 - including a move from OH to AL. I was missing them so much that I special ordered from the local garden center this spring, and ended up with 10 of them.

Also, can it be kept over the winter under lights?
Absolutely. You can keep potted plants under fluorescent lights, or in a very sunny window. When you bring them inside, they will get pissed. So go ahead and remove all large leaves at that time so you don't end up picking them up off the floor later. It will probably look awful all winter but should stay alive. Do not water until it gets very dry, almost wilty. Overwatering will cause root rot since the plant is basically dormant at this time, although it might make a few flowers. You can also keep cuttings over winter in jars or bottles of water on a windowsil.

To hedge my bets, I usually bring in the potted plants, and take as many cuttings from them as possible. If all goes well, you should have several plants next spring!

o

Thank you so much for answering my post. Also, you were so thorough==answered every question. I so appreciate people taking the time to answer. God Bless. - Barb

o

You're welcome. And thanks for the blessing! Right back'at'cha.

o

I also gently scrape the last spot where I removed the lowest leaf set with my clipping scissors and they ALWAYS root, with or w/o rooting hormone. One of THE easier cutting propagators (100%) that I've done here in C. Florida. Alway keep damp. That's my entire instruction manual. I LOVE this place (forum)!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here