Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grass clippings in flower beds growing???

Posted by chrisf_2009 WA (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 15, 09 at 20:46

My wife insists that the remnant grass clipping left in the flower beds after mowing the lawn are taking root and propagating into the flower beds. I don't believe that cut grass blades can take root and grow. I think they just decompose and the grass growing in the beds is coming from another source; root propagation from the lawn into the beds most likely. Can anyone shed some light on this for me. Can grass clippings grow?

Thanks,
Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grass clippings in flower beds growing???

you are correct the clippins will not root. BUT the grass seed mixed with these cuttings is germination
The grases flower & produce seed several times a year

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 16, 09 at 15:57

Sorry, that's not correct. Grasses like Cynodon (Bermuda Grass) can and often do root from stolons (above ground horizontal stems). In fact, this is a commercially-viable way sometimes used to propagate certain grasses.

o

Excuse me but grases most often grown in WA (Blue grass, Rye Grass & Fescue) will not be propagated by clippings but by seed or division.
Chrisf could have prevented the confusion if had been specific as to grass type

o

Both are correct. Some grasses, such as St. Augustine, will root from node cuttings as well. We stomp them into wet ground all the time, to fill in 'bald spots'.

Janie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here