Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clerodendrum thomasiae, help

Posted by BegoniaRob 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 14, 12 at 21:07

I have a Clerodendrum (Bleeding heart vine) as an indoor plant and I'd like to propagate it for a friend. Any suggestions? Anytime I take a cutting and place in water--nothing happens and the cutting dries out. Taking a cutting and putting it in sand does the same thing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clerodendrum thom(son)iae, help

If you're going to try find info about this online, be sure to spell it correctly (Clerodendrum thomsoniae). Bleeding Heart Vine is typically very easy to propagate from cuttings. Using water as a medium is probably one of the least effective way to propagate most things, but this species is usually so easy to root that it can even be done in water. I don't know what type of sand you are using, but, if you do want to try sand again, make sure it is pure silica sand ("real" sand) and be sure it is course grained (better drainage). Using a mixture of 50% perlite and 50% decent potting soil can also work well. Be sure that the medium doesn't stay soggy at lower depths. Cuttings taken in late winter or spring seem to do best.

o
RE: Clerodendrum thomasiae, help

This is invasive in my garden. It comes up everywhere, very hard to kill. you can mow it down and it comes right back. I used to give away the blooms until I got complaints. Al

o

My daughter gave me a cutting which I put in a white disposable beaker with water in the kitchen window facing south on March 17th. After 5 days the roots started forming. Tomorrow (March 29th) I shall plant it in a pot. I intend to have it as a houseplant and keep it in a window facing south or one facing southwest. I never succeeded when I put cuttings to root in soil so I put them in water to root and the results are fine. Should I use normal soil or should it be acidic? When should I start fertilizing it and should it be normal or half strength dilution?

o

Ideal pH is 5.0 to 6.o (acid)
When to start & how much fertilize depends on the potting soil, amount of watering , rate of growth etc. etc. etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here