Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ron_2008

After rooting

ron_2008
11 years ago

For the last three years I have been learning the ropes about propagation from cuttings.Have taken my share of lumps,had some success and several failures,mostly when it comes to planting them in a bed and getting them through their 1st winter.

This past winter for example, nearly all of my rooted cuttings were somehow uprooted and laying over in the spot I planted them in with their roots exposed to the elements.

This year I'm sticking hundreds of weigela,forsythia,privet,and several varieties of spirea and have had major success in getting them to root.

Obviously, I need to move these soon to their new homes so I'm looking for advice. Everything from soil to sun/shade percentages and anything else to keep them growing and surviving.

Comments (8)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Congrats on your propagation successes! Sounds like last year's attempts heaved over winter. Mulch or a thick coating of leaves should help.

The privet - questionable desirability.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

where are you ron???

purp was right.. its called heave.. when the moisture in the soil.. actually heaves late planted stuff out of the ground ... they havent rooted in well enough to hold themselves in ...

and in z5.. where the ground freezes.. it happens repeatedly late in winter.. as the surface soil thaws and refreezes ... over and over again ...

to avoid such.. you plant earlier.. in hopes they will actually root in better ..

hold over pots.. and plant in spring ...

or develop a holding bed to stick plants into for winter .. for planting in soil in spring ...

a screened scree comes to mind .. its what peeps who grow alpines actually plant in.. very high drainage.. and avoids the heave somewhat becasue it is actually stone and heavy ... you would look for very fine scree ...

you could also put row covers.. or shade screen over the area.. to avoid winter sun on bare soil ... to temper repeated thawing and refreezing ...

and lastly.. look into nearing frames.. and do you sticking right in mother earth.. avoiding it all .. lol

and you thought.. the hard part was getting an actual root.. lol ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• ron_2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was wondering if they hadn't had enough time to develop a strong root system in the planter box I put them in and it sounds like I was correct.
    My concern with our current heat wave is will they die if I plant them out now? Maybe place a shade cloth over them?
    And you're right about that Ken! Rooting is turning out to be the easy part for me?

• ron_2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was wondering if they hadn't had enough time to develop a strong root system in the planter box I put them in and it sounds like I was correct.
    My concern with our current heat wave is will they die if I plant them out now? Maybe place a shade cloth over them?
    And you're right about that Ken! Rooting is turning out to be the easy part for me?

11 years ago

where are you ron???

i wouldnt transplant in july/august...

early sept.. when night temps are in the 60' consistently ...

in most of z5.. that should give them 60 days to root in ... if not 90 .. it is suggested that even dormant plants continue to grow roots until the ground temps fall far enough.. or the ground freezes ... in z5

and i still think we should discuss the soil you are planting in ... both chunky clay.. and potting media have problems ...

ken

• ron_2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am going to build several new 4' x 4' boxes to plant these cuttings in. I figured on filling them with top soil. Got any particular soil recommendations? My garden soil is basically clay even after a few years of amending it so I finally switched to growing in raised beds. One thing I also worry about is the nearly constant West wind I get here. Living out in the country that wind gets mighty cold at times in the winter.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

What have you been amending with? Do you have a compost pile?

11 years ago

didnt i suggest you to look into nearing frames.. too lazy to reread.. lol ..

check out the link

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor