Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
african milk tree?

Posted by treadwella42 z6 Maine (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 15, 07 at 22:01

one of the branches on my non-cactus (what i like to call it) started breaking off, so i cut it off right at its base. i would like to make another african milk tree with this branch, but don't know what the next step is. do i let it scab over and then plant it? or...what? i've never tried to propagate such a beast before.

now i have to go wash all the toxic "milk" off my hands before i carelessly get it into my eyes or something similarly stupid.

please reply! help me make a baby milk tree... *grin*

thanks,

amanda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: african milk tree?

I assume you are talking about one of the many Euphorbia... The area need's to air dry. & apply 0.1% IBA (Rooting hormone) stick in well drained (damp)soil
The smaller the "cut/broken" area (cross section) the easer it is to root.

o

I have a huge african milk tree but need to trim it down. I'm paranoid about clipping it and wonder what area of the plant the clipping should be done. Any suggestions?

o

I have one of these that is at least 25 years old. It is so easy to root. Just break off one of smaller side branches that is 4 to 6 inches long, let the end dry a bit and stick it in a pot that has a coarse soil in it (Cactus mix works very well). Its Latin name is Euphorbia trigona. The trick with these is to water only when the pot is dry. They hate wet feet!
I have seen these cut back and to my mind, they look awful afterwards. I think you might be better off starting a new plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here