Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
overwintering of new cuttings

Posted by markstrees 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 11, 10 at 22:49

I have been pretty successful getting cuttings to root,
but i seem to have little luck getting them through the winter here. The first year i wintered them outside in my nursery with a lots of straw mulch and lost most of them. This year i kept them inside in my garage where it is not as bitter, but does get to freezing. Still lost most of them. Any advice on overwintering would be great,
thanks,
mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: overwintering of new cuttings

A cold frame is one possibility the true key to survival is a good root system to start with then harden off the cutting but most of all KEEP THE SOIL DAMP ALL WINTER LONG TILL SPRING.

o

I have a beautiful dark red geranium I am planning to overwinter. Should I leave it in it's hanging basket and cut it back or take them out and separate them now? I haven't seen one like this color and that's why I want to save it.
Darlene

o

i plant mine end of sept in veggy garden "had about 200 plants" ,water untill first hard frost/freeze"mid november".Most survived winter
Butterfly bushes,montuak daisys,and wegilia.Most were in 1 gal pots for about 4 to 6 weeks before transplanted ,so they had a pretty good root system going.

o

I have a light set-up, actually two, one in the basement, one in a corner of my south-facing attached greenhouse. I overwinter just-rooted roses, clematis, bougainvillea, and others under fluorescents. You have to keep an eye out for pests, especially spider mites. When it's warm in spring I transplant them to slightly larger pots and grow them outdoors. Then they go into the ground or into a cold frame for the second winter.

Hope this helps.

Gary

o

I have some tree cuttings and seedlings that I plan to overwinter in an unheated garage (zone 5). This may be a bad idea, but would it be wise to protect the seedlings and cuttings by placing them in styrofoam containers during the cold winter months? I could add a bit of snow inside the containers for moisture from time to time.

Anyone tried this or is it a bad idea??

Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here