Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wirtlo

Micropropagation/Tissue Culture of various plants and Inositol

wirtlo
18 years ago

I recently found some various recipes online for at-home micropropagation. I got all the supplies (well, the agar I used was almond flavor, and hopefully that has no adverse effect on the outcome) and did some micropropgating a few days ago (used a pressure cooker/alcohol/bleach/fire for sterilization).

So what I am wondering about is the role of inositol in micropropagation, because I couldn't find it and didn't use it with the rest of the recipe.

I'm also wondering about the steps of micropropagation, one step to help the plants start to grow and then rooting three months later. Is that necessary?

------

The recipe I used was this: (great, I can't find the site I used now, so I'll have to have a go at it from memory).

-2 tbsp of Almond flavored agar (small town, will use gellright next time)

-1/4 tbsp fertilizer

-20 drops of superthrive (wasn't sure if I should or not)

-2-3tbsp of coconut milk

-2 cups water

-1/2 multivitamin

I think that was it. I haven't invested in a pH meter yet, so I couldn't check that.

Hopefully this works, but if not, it was an experiment.

And the plants I tried this with were: dwarf banana (part of a leaf and the tip of a new root), bromeliad, giant bird of paradise, and I'm going to try a passiflora. All parts I used were of new growth.

Anyway, any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

ERic

Comments (9)

• geoforce
    18 years ago

It's been years since I did this. Per your question, the inositol is a sugar alcohol and is considered part of one of the B-vitamin complexes. Some plants seem to do better with it, but I never used it in the past.

The hardest part of this procedure is generally the regeneration of plants with both roots and leaves from the callus tissue. Most often this requires switching the pieces cut from the callus mass to a different media to initiate the growth of one or the other organ. Then the plants must be grown in sterile media till they are big enough to pot out. Be especially careful to remove all the culture media from the plants when this is done, or mold will kill your plants.

You can find a lot of web pages on these things from a Google search.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tissue culture of banana

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    18 years ago

Below is a link to a propagation thread on the Gardenweb Botany Forum. It it has several links including one to in vitro propagation of bananas

Here is a link that might be useful: GW's botany forum

• enna123
    17 years ago

Inositol is available from both plant and animal sources. The plant form in which Inositol is available is phytic acid, which can bind with minerals and so affect their absorption negatively.

The body is also able to manufacture Inositol. It is available from wheat germ, brewerÂs yeast, bananas, veal, pork, liver, brown rice, and wheat bran, cantaloupe, oat flakes, nuts, unrefined molasses, raisins and vegetables

Inositol is said to promote healthy hair, hair growth, and helps in controlling estrogen levels and may assist in preventing breast lumps. Inositol is a vitamin that is utilized by the body for a variety of metabolic processes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Inositol

• Tim
    17 years ago

I was just curious how your micropropagation was going? I want to try african violets and hostas at home. I did african violets and ferns 20 years ago in college but that was under pretty stringent lab conditions. Seems like we used some sugar in our agar mixture perhaps the coconut milk provided the sucrose for the cultures?

• zaleon
    15 years ago

How was your micropropagation experiment?

• tcuser
    15 years ago

How the micropropagation lab looked like 20 years ago? I am curious that there is laminated flow hood at that time or not? or it just using a chamber like a fishing tank and spray alcohol to sterile like people work with homemade tissue culture today?

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    15 years ago

Back when I took the course about 1966-68 or so, we had laminated flow hoods, even in student labs.

I don't recall how we cleaned and sterilized the inside the hood, perhaps someone was paid to do that as part of their financial aid package.

We used glassware for the most part rather than disposable plastic. We had to wash our own glassware. Started with ordinary dish soap. After a casual rinse we would do a second wash with a solution of "Tween 80", I think that is now called something else. Then several distilled water rinses and dry in an oven or dry by rinsing with alcohol and then acetone then ether.

The plant cuttings to be used were sterilized with a variety of things. Often this was part of the student challenge to find some way to sterilize the plant. Often the professor or graduate assistant would have some variation to be tested by the student so often we didn't know exactly what we were using.

• tcuser
    15 years ago

Hi Albert_135,
    Thank you for information. It's very interesting to see how people worked with tissue culture in the past. Are you still working with TC now? Anybody know how people are sterilizing equipments and explants in the TC labs now? Are sterilize procedures now quite different than in the past?

• sandhya_singh055_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Hi..
    I am presently facing some problems regarding multiplication in Gloriosa superba through nodal explants.
    Various concentrations, both high and low were tried but failed to produce results.
    If anybody has any idea regarding generation of multiple shoots , plz write or suggest to me..

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert