Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wisteria 'beans'

Posted by sentrase Western CA (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 28, 06 at 0:12

I have a question about the bean pods (the green bean-looking things)that hang from a Wisteria tree. Are these beans future blooms? My husband says that if you cut all of those off, there won't be any blooms. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wisteria 'beans'

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 28, 06 at 12:41

Hi,
The beans are where there once were flowers. The only reason to keep them on the plant would be to let them ripen so you could grow more Wisteria Vines or to give/trade them to another person. So you can cut them off and no harm will be done: )
Remy

o

• Posted by
    plant.babies Zone 7-8
    (gw:plant.babies) on
    Mon, Aug 28, 06 at 16:33

I was wondering this same thing just yesterday.

Remy -- how does one know when it is time to harvest the pods to plant the seeds?

thanks

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 30, 06 at 11:36

The pods turn brown and begin to look dry when ripe. Seeds are black when mature. Nick and soak in hot water, sow 55-65F, germination in 30-60 days.

But, as wisteria grown from seed may take as long as 10 - 15 years to flower, growing from seed is rarely recommended....better to take softwood or hardwood cuttings, layer, or take root cuttings.

o

When the pods mature on the vine (brown) remove them and place them in a paper bag. The pods will violently burst open so that you can collect the seeds inside. Don't leave the pods out without placing them in a bag....the force behind this pod bursting is incredible.

Here is a link that might be useful: seeds

o

This sort of answers my question. One of my husband's customers gave him two bags full of these beans. They are still green and soft. They have part of the stem attached yet. So should I let these dry out and plant seed, or try to put the stem in root starter?? I didn't want to hear they take that long to mature. Also, should this be done now in the fall or wait til spring? I always wanted one of these vines, but looks like I'll be waiting a while. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here