Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elly29_gw

propagating mint form cuttings?

elly29
17 years ago

I just got a couple of mint cuttings from my father-in-law and I was wondering the best way to get them to root. Can I root them in water?

Comments (15)

• georgez5il
    17 years ago

I take cuttings of this years growth... apply 0.1% IBA (rooting hormone) stick in well drained soil & mist takes 10-25 days to root.

• catfishsam
    17 years ago

Just put some gravel in a pot and push the mint down in the gravel and put in the pond so the top of the pot is a inch or so under water. The mint will root very quickly. Be careful if you plant it by the pond since it will spread and become a pest.

• catfishsam
    17 years ago

Sorry about my posting since I thought I was on the pond forum.

Just put the mint in some water and it will root quickly. Make sure that it is not planted where it will become weedy.

• hinesh5
    17 years ago

i just put my mint cuttings in a pot with moist compost. i put it in a propagator on a windowsill for 1 to 2 weeks.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    17 years ago

plant the mint in the ground in native soil once rooted.. or you will spend the next decade trying to stop it from invading everything for a 1/4 mile around ...

as nice as it is... especially in scotch and water... it is a highly invasive pest ...

good luck

ken

• geoforce
    17 years ago

Most mint will just about root in a concrete driveway. About the easiest things to root in the entire world and also one of the hardest to control in your garden.. PLEASE!! Plant it in a container.

George

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    17 years ago

i said : plant the mint in the ground in native soil once rooted

---->>>> left out a few of the most important words.. lol

PLANT IN A 5 GAL BUCKET FILLED WITH NATIVE SOIL IN THE GROUND .... in an attempt to keep it contained ... or eventually you will be cursing your decision to introduce it into your garden ... been there.. done that.. finally got rid of it... BY MOVING >>>>> lol

geez .. what a typo ... lol .. ken

• karyn1
    17 years ago

It's almost impossible not to root mint cuttings. They'll grow in just about anything.
    Karyn

• gardenernm
    14 years ago

does it matter what part of the plant you get the clipping from?

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    14 years ago

I am sure it doesn't matter what part of the plant. The only thing that matters is that you take heed and plant in a container. Make sure the container is not sunk into or on top of soil, or it will reach down from the top and start traveling through the soil. Make sure you have a plant saucer under your container to prevent those roots from spreading.

Good luck with your cuttings!

• Jo-Ann
    14 years ago

I agree with geoforce - mint will try and root itself anywhere. I grew two mint plants in pots this year on my concrete deck and was fascinated to see the runners reaching out and trying to root somewhere - anywhere, including the concrete deck. Wicked stuff, I would never plant it in the actual 'ground' if you know what I mean....

The other thing I have read, is if you do use pots, don't let the mint go to seed as those little mutts will end up everywhere - you might as well have planted the mint in the ground. Needless to say, I'm keeping a close eye on mine!

• kimbabcock_bellsouth_net
    13 years ago

I've had mint "invade" from haphazardly tossed clippings all over my flower beds. I am in the process of allowing it to "invade" a large banked area with not so great soil where only weeds grow. When I am "de-minting" some areas of my gardens, I take those clumps with good root systems attached and plant them straight into their new location. As long as adequate moisture is available, the transplants thrive. And if you want any free mint to plant, just ask a friend with a plant and they will be more than happy to provide.

• pippi21
    12 years ago

My suggestion..don't ever plant mint in your flowerbeds. I inherited flowerbeds that the original owners of this house had planted and we've lived here 6 yrs. and I'm still having it pop up. Buy it from your grocery store is my suggestion.
    Like Ken says, it is almost impossible to get rid of it. I don't know about starting mint and growing it in a pot if you can keep it contained in the pot or not.

• njclaassen
    8 years ago

I would like some mint root. Does any know where I can get some? Would anyone like to share some? Thanks.