Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rose of sharon 'Blue Satin' cuttings

Posted by katrina1 OK (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 1, 06 at 1:30

How long should they take to root, if I used rooting starter and keep them misted and in indirect light? They are kept at a constant 77 to 78 degrees F.

The leaves are staying green for at least two weeks before they begin to start looking slightly less deep green and slightly more limp?

After 2 weeks some have a very short fine hair like root growing, others have no sign of root growth at all. Is this normal?

4 of these are planted in clean course sand, and the other 4 are planted in a mixture of sand and vermiculite.

The ones planted in the sand seem to be doing much better than the other 4.

Is anyone familiar with propagating this cultivar of Rose of Sharon during this time of year?

Please help, this is the first time I have tried to propagate anything from cuttings, and have not found any other local nurseries selling this particular cultivar of Rose of Sharon. I did see a mail order supplier of them, but those were very small and their cost was the same as what I paid for my orginal one which was in a 5 gallon pot and almost 3 feet tall at purchase time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rose of sharon 'Blue Satin' cuttings

I've propogated Rose of Sharon lots of times, but only in the early spring when the leaves first start to apear.

o

I use 0.1% IBA (Rooting hormone) well drained soil & mist.... takes 24-80 days to root

o

Wow 24 to 80 days. To see how well the leaves stay green and healthy looking so far really surprises me. These Rose of Sharon must be very reliable propagators. But up to 80 days seems extreemly long; especially since I manually mist them at least 8 - 10 times a day. But If some can take 80 days to root well, then I should be very happy to see even the smallest 1/4 inch long root hair after only 2 weeks.

george51l is the 1% IBA you use in a liquid form? I asked my nursery for some powdered rooting hormone, and they told me that they have better results using the Espoma Bio-tone starter which is in a liquid form which is supposed to be diluted to the ratio of 1 oz (2 tablespoons) in one gallon of water.

They also told me that the stuff was good for newly planted trees which are suffering from our extreme summer heat conditions. I am going to try it on my Japanese Stewarta which is have a terrible time with the triple digit high temps we have been having this summer. for several a couple months the leaves have had browining around the edges, but after this last couple of weeks with such high temps the leaves have lost all their green and are now a redish brown, but still hanging onto the tree.

I hope that the Bio-tone Starter Microbial plant food will feed the roots and keep the tree alive even though the leaves can no longer produce food for the roots.

Do you think, that just if the tree does not pull through, I should cut off a branch and try to get it to root? Is that possible even though there currently are no green leaves?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here