Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
misting or chamber?

Posted by earthnut WA/usda8/ahs2 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 31, 07 at 2:26

I am propagating aspen-poplar hybrids in a greenhouse. They are not nearly as easy to propagate as wild poplars.

I am currently using large ziploc bags to contain pots of cuttings. I take softwood tip cuttings, strip off the lower leaf or two, dip in powdered rootone, stick them in moist potting soil, spray with fungicide, and put them in bags. I leave the bags for two weeks, no openings, and most of them root.

I wean the plants to room conditions by transplanting them up a pot size and slowing cutting away at the plastic bag until it's gone. From cutting to mature plant, I get 50% or less survival.

I've gotten lots of lovely plants this way, but I'm trying to think how I might get better success. Might misting give me better rooting? Whould misting make it easier for the plants to make the transition to normal room conditions? I'd like to get an idea of how the two systems compare before I invest in the equipment. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: misting or chamber?

• Posted by jbclem z9b Topanga, Ca (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 31, 07 at 3:53

Hi earthnut, can you tell me how many cuttings you put in each ziploc bag...just one or a bunch. I've been using ziploc bags over individual containers and I don't think the moisture lasts more than a week in these...and I've had miserable luck with bougainvillea, trumpet vine, and now trying guava. I've been misting manually inside the bags sometimes every 3-4 days, except not in the trumpet vine ones.

jc

o
RE: misting or chamber?

Just a FWIW comment: I did experiments on poplar-[something] hybrids for several years (My hobby was propagation experiments for several decades.)

I always had best results taking the cuttings in mid-winter, December or January, and rooting them first in the dark, then proceeding to budding and leafing in pots, ziplocks or whatever.

Indeed many plant that had annual cycles seemed to start better this way whereas tropical houseplants rarely seemed to benefit from rooting in the winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here