Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katrina1_gw

best potting soil for newly rooted ROS cuttings

katrina1
17 years ago

Most of my Rose of Sharon 'blue Satin' cuttings have rooted. The roots are not very long yet, but the starts do hold when I test by using the slight tug method.

I would like to wait 2 more weeks before transplanting them. Is that a good idea? If not when would be a better time to transplant them? Most are currently rooting in straight sand and one that I started in mostly Vermiculite and a little sand has a small but healthy looking web of a few roots which seems to have branched.

Also, after I transplant the rooted ones, how should I handle them? Put them outside in steady dappled shade, or keep them in the house at a constant 77 degrees F. with indirect lighting?

By the latter weeks of October into November, in past years, the chance for temps to change rapidly from comfortable 60 F. degrees and quite chilly light freezing temps in a 24 hour period has been common. With that in mind, by the second week of October should I bury the pots in a pile of sand and let the young recently propogated shrubs struggle with that kind of cycling temperatures. If not what about putting them in the garage for the winter? If the garage is the best place for them to be wintered, will the low light levels in the garage be a problem for them, especially during the daytime?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting