Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marie_zone5

can angelonia be propagated by cuttings?

Marie_zone5
18 years ago

The subject says it. Except, I also want to keep the cuttings over winter. I love this plant and would like to have more. Marie

Comments (8)

• ankraras
    18 years ago

Chinese evergreen is very easy to propagate by Cane/stem cutting. You can aid cuttings
    with rooting hormone for better root development but I have not found it to be necessary.
    Use a good quality houseplant mix with some perlite added.

"Over winter"

In your climate zone I would highly suggest indoor growing in a well light location.
    Perhaps, after it is well established the plant may be moved to a medium or low light location.

Ankrara's Hobby Corner

• patricia531
    18 years ago

I have rooted angelonia by taking my cutting, strip off leaves for two nodes at least and dip it in rooting hormone. Then I pot it up in seed starting soil , water it in and place it in a ziplock bag that I have blown air into. I then place it on a propagating heat mat. I don't remember how long it took to root, but it wasn't long. I did mine inside my greenhouse that get's very bright lights, so if you don't have a greenhouse, you would want your propagating mat under florescent lights which would be just a few inchs above the cuttings.

• Soeur
    18 years ago

Angelonia is typically propagated from cuttings, but late winter/early spring as the days lengthen is a far better time to take cuttings than autumn. Wintering over cuttings could be tough unless you have a greenhouse. It may be easier to keep the mother plant going in a pot over the winter, to use as a stock plant for cuttings in early spring.

BTW, you might want to make sure you're not growing a patented variety, in which case propagation is prohibited. Many of the widely available types are patented, such as the AngelMist series and the Carita series. It will say on the tag if the plant is patented, if you still possess it.

Soeur

• Marie_zone5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, everyone for your reply's to my message. I will try to winter the plant over. I would be happy to just keep the two I have. Marie

• Angelicisi
    11 years ago

I have a beautiful plant that I have been just dying to make another for another spot in one of my gardens and was so excited to read this post. I have a rolling green house I pick up (I'm in the south tho- mild winters) and use it all year indoors and out to start seeds/roots herb cutting and vine cuttings...these flowers I would LOVE more of w/o the pricetag! A 4in pot was 5.99 last March here...now its just stunning. I will try taking cuttings and rooting them and update...I use her cut flowers in my sunflower arrangements and she just keeps on producing!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    5 years ago

I believe you can propagate patented varieties for yourself, you just cannot propagate them for sale to others.

Sponsored