Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can angelonia be propagated by cuttings?

Posted by Marie_zone5 KC MO (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 14, 05 at 5:01

The subject says it. Except, I also want to keep the cuttings over winter. I love this plant and would like to have more. Marie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can angelonia be propagated by cuttings?

Chinese evergreen is very easy to propagate by Cane/stem cutting. You can aid cuttings
with rooting hormone for better root development but I have not found it to be necessary.
Use a good quality houseplant mix with some perlite added.

"Over winter"

In your climate zone I would highly suggest indoor growing in a well light location.
Perhaps, after it is well established the plant may be moved to a medium or low light location.

Ankrara's Hobby Corner

o

Oops! Sorry I answered the wrong post. It's getting quite late sleepiness setting in. Lol

o

I have rooted angelonia by taking my cutting, strip off leaves for two nodes at least and dip it in rooting hormone. Then I pot it up in seed starting soil , water it in and place it in a ziplock bag that I have blown air into. I then place it on a propagating heat mat. I don't remember how long it took to root, but it wasn't long. I did mine inside my greenhouse that get's very bright lights, so if you don't have a greenhouse, you would want your propagating mat under florescent lights which would be just a few inchs above the cuttings.

o

• Posted by Soeur z6b TN (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 15, 05 at 20:57

Angelonia is typically propagated from cuttings, but late winter/early spring as the days lengthen is a far better time to take cuttings than autumn. Wintering over cuttings could be tough unless you have a greenhouse. It may be easier to keep the mother plant going in a pot over the winter, to use as a stock plant for cuttings in early spring.

BTW, you might want to make sure you're not growing a patented variety, in which case propagation is prohibited. Many of the widely available types are patented, such as the AngelMist series and the Carita series. It will say on the tag if the plant is patented, if you still possess it.

Soeur

o

This says it all.

http://www.floridata.com/ref/a/ange_ang.cfm

o

Thanks, everyone for your reply's to my message. I will try to winter the plant over. I would be happy to just keep the two I have. Marie

o

I have a beautiful plant that I have been just dying to make another for another spot in one of my gardens and was so excited to read this post. I have a rolling green house I pick up (I'm in the south tho- mild winters) and use it all year indoors and out to start seeds/roots herb cutting and vine cuttings...these flowers I would LOVE more of w/o the pricetag! A 4in pot was 5.99 last March here...now its just stunning. I will try taking cuttings and rooting them and update...I use her cut flowers in my sunflower arrangements and she just keeps on producing!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here