Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greyandamy

Tell me it's a first year phase, please!

greyandamy
12 years ago

OKay, tell me (honestly)this is a phase that all new to propagation people go through.

This year, I decided to try propagating. It was too easy, no soil wasn't sterile (was light), no I didn't cover for humidity (kept out in shade), etc.

The success rate was too great. I tried more. I admit, mostly annuals, or tender perennials... mostly. Now there's propagated little containers everywhere. IT was too easy. One gardenia plant now has 10 healthy offspring, rosemary roots like water, as does osteo daisies, everything... etc. I can't/won't possibly overwinter all.

Friends say NO MORE PROPAGATING... I know, I know...

Just assure me this is a newbie thing, to experiment, to learn. Assure me many of you went through this at first. Please.

Propagating perennials makes more sense... but it's like an addiction... or was.

Was anyone else like this?

Amy

Comments (8)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Nothing wrong with "practice." Unfortunately, I can tell you this behavior may continue... Have fun!

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

Even a good thing can be overdone. When you can't bear to discard a plant you have no where to plant, propagating then becomes too much like work, and not enough like fun. One year I had so many really nice tomato plants I forced them on my friends. Al

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Why not share what you propagated and your method you used? I have the AHS book but the darn print is so small for me to see well anymore.

• greyandamy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My method isn't really what books say.... I used a mix of miracle grow with lots of perlite or sometimes gritty sand mixed in. It wasn't sterile. Yes, used rooting hormone... but didn't cover or anything. I just stuck outside on table on north side of house, figured the humidity would have to be high enough to make it. Sometimes I used cell packs, sometimes small plastic cups with holes in bottom (so I could try to see roots), sometimes just smaller dark 3-4" nursery pots, again not sterilized. The soil was moist when i did it, but I didn't obsess over it, occasionally I'd check to make sure nothing was bone dry.

Early I was all into trying the covered plastic containers, etc. but it was too much work for me, or something.

Propogated mostly annuals, and they went so quickly.. evoluslus blue daze, gaura (I swear that took a week), nemesia (QUICK), gardenias (surprisingly quick, 3 weeks?), euphorbia I'm still waiting on, rosemary, another extremely quick one. Cestrum noctrum... a few weeks, hypoethes (Polka dot plant), iresine, alternantha (no need to do, they go like weeds, and now what?)... osteo daisies were surprisingly quick...more, like houseplants I don't even need...

Some, like lavender (slightly woodier, I was too impatient and after 2-3 weeks I'd tug out and small roots were forming, but then I ditched them. Some, like hydrangea, took a month of good roots, but then due to fatigue I composted, crotons seem to be doing well... of course, full proof coleus. mums, they rooted ridiculously fast and then got huge, despite constant root pruning. other things...I'm sure I focused on easy things. The woodier items I seemed to lack the patience for.

More, chenille plant, tender herbs... thought now makes me tired as they sit out there waiting, many may be composted if I can't find easy ways to overwinter (tender perennials that can take cool, darkish).. and how many coleus do you need?

I think it must be an OCD trait, earlier it was seed saving, now I have more seeds than the whole neighborhood could ever use.

I'm not an expert by any means, just a nut.... but if questions, ask...don't get into the obsession unless you start planning like me about possibly using the grow lights in basement, etc...

Amy

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

ROFL, welcome to the addiction. It definitely gets worse!!!

I helped develop a regional plant swap to help me con people into taking some of my excess plants share some of my blessings with fellow gardeners. It helps...until the addiction clicks into the next gear. (-;

• greyandamy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh Brandon, NOT WHAT I WANTED TO HEAR!!!! BUT thanks for the honesty, I did ask for that! I MUST have an addictive personality.

ONe year it was compost, then it went to growing from seeds/winter sowing, then THIS phase, then houseplants (As energy fades)...

You made me smile, thanks.

• pippi21
    12 years ago

I think it is wonderful that you have interested in learning how to propagate flowers. You can share your success with us on this forum. There are many newbies and experienced gardeners that have not tried to learn. It helps to increase your supply of flowers and one can always share with others or donate to a plant sale or organize a plant swap among friends and neighbors. Or sell them. Before 2009, I always bought starter plants from the local nurseries/garden centers. Spent hundred each year and most of them were annuals. Wintersowing has taught me many things and I've met some of the nicest people through that. You not only learn by doing but from others and you can teach them too. I think it's great. Now can you manage to get garden book publishers to print garden books in large print? I have the AHS book and it is a great book but I need a whole page pagnifier to read it so instead of straining my eyes, I depend on this internet and the gardening websites and blogs to learn.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

The woodier items I seemed to lack the patience for. I'm with you, except... there's layering. Find a branch that will bend to the ground, or even to a pot. Lay a rock or brick on the branch where it will hold it firmly pressed to the soil on the ground or in the pot. Ignore until well rooted. Detach from mama when all 3 occur: Firmly rooted, not a bad time to do it, you have time. Try roses, Hydrangea,

You'll either love me or hate me for this... Imagine a shrub that can grow 4-8 feet in a year, likes being trimmed back into shape after new growth appears in the spring, blooms attractive and fragrant flowers from mid-summer until frost, attracts butterflies to your yard, likes anything from full sun to fairly shady, and is as easy to propagate as it is to cut off a piece and stick it in the ground (in the spring, like when you are pruning it anyway.) Welcome to Buddleia davidii, butterfly bush.

A friend gave me one about 15 years ago and to this day, my yard and my Mom's are full of bushes started this way. I've taken slews of them to swaps, also.

Have you played with basil yet? (Yummy as well as being fun and easy to propagate.) Sweet potato vine? I think you would also have great fun with Tradescantias.

How many coleus do you need? More!

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals