Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basic propogation

Posted by margomouse 5 IA (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 27, 12 at 9:09

I apologize for the simplicity of my question to begin with. At the beginning of March- I thought annual was a flower that came back every year :P That is how entirely new I am to the wonderful world of gardening. I have been very successful despite my lack of experience, and am already looking forward to next spring. I am planning on propagating several of my plants and giving their "babies" to friends. I have read extensively on how to do this, and think I understand what I need to do. My question is about timing. If I want to have some substantial plants to give away next spring, it would seem to me that I need to propagate this fall. Is this correct? I was hoping to give away the plants in April and May. I am thinking that if I get cuttings to root this fall, and get them in pots now- I can over winter them and then by next spring they will be a nice size. I do not have a greenhouse; but was planning on getting a grow light and have acquired a small portable green house that is similar to a bakers rack. Any help you could provide would be appreciated. At this time I am thinking about propagating 2 different varieties of salvia as well as catmint as a starting point. Thank you for your expertise.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basic propogation

If you want to propagate perennials this summer for next year, it is important to get them well rooted before they go dormant, or they may not live through the dormant season. With this in mind I would start them soon. Al

o

in the alternative.. now is a good time to be dividing appropriate plants.. so they have time to settle in.. outdoors ...

keeping a big chunk of a plant for you .. and line out some smaller ones for trading or gifts ... why messin doors.. when it can be done.. easier.. outside ...

and that is what i would do for any mint.. no need to mess around int he house...

and i dont get the salvia part.. but good for you ...

indoor plant growing.. can be handled in a 4000 page book... there are so many variables to handle.. that i wish you all the luck in the world ... but you are going to need to do a lot of research between now.. and first frost.. good luck ...

the one key .. is adjustable lights.. the lights need to be.. sustained.. at about 2 inches over the plants.. so as the plants grow ... either the light rises.. or the shelf goes down ... more lights the better ... and plain shop lights are fine .. no need for fancy ones..

this variable is LIGHT INTENSITY and plant stand design ...

you will also need to master.. media [what you grow in .. and that is not soil]... cleanliness.. water.. humidity ... and luck ... lol ..

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

I totally agree... but that leaves that cool new rack empty. Many of the plants bought up north as annuals are really perennials that could work with your plan. What else do you have growing? Any "annuals" or house plants?

o

Forgot to add, some perennials don't need a dormant period... although frustratingly nothing comes to mind at the moment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here