Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kittens_gw

Rooting Hormone

kittens
12 years ago

I'm attempting to convert my perennial gardens into shrub gardens and would like to bump up my shrub inventory via propagating. Early on in my gardening efforts I wasn't very successful with the rooting hormone. So, I normally would just stick cuttings in potting soil (or water vase) and transplant in the fall if they've made it. I would like to bump up my success rate now since I have a purpose and have been lurking posts. I noticed that different percentages of rooting hormone are recommended for different species. Is there a rule of thumb on this or a guide I could reference? I have .10% - is that sufficient for most? If memory serves me correctly, I believe I was getting a lot of mold using the rooting hormone before. Was that because I used too much RH or just a moisture/circulation issue?

And on another note, is there any listings specific to Zone 5 on propagating (when to take cuttings, etc)? I'm trying to familiarize myself with just what is hardy in my zone. Most of my shopping is done at the box stores and I'm finding variety seems somewhat limited.

Comments (6)

Sponsored