Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cuttings off Avocado?

Posted by dlingy PA (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 24, 06 at 11:50

is it possible to take cuttings off an avocado tree?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cuttings off Avocado?

I have never heard of starting avocado from cuttings. The usual method is from seed and then bud or graft onto the seedling. Al

o

Yes it is, I've done it. It takes a long time, though, and I only had about 45% rooting success off of about 60 cuttings.

o

While I agree with propag8 that avocado cuttings are difficult to propagate (I have had about 33% success), it is actually the preferable method as avocados grown from seed are not true the parent plant, whereas with cuttings, you will know what you're getting.

Here is my method for propagation:

cut a young shoot at the point where it joins to another branch. dip into a rooting compound suitable for softwoods (anything stronger will be too much). place in a well watered pot of potting soil. cover with a clear plastic bag and put on a sunny windowsill or outside if it's spring/summer. check after 2 weeks by giving the shoot a gentle tug.

o

davidjamesmagna,

That is pretty interesting, your method of rooting avocado.

About how long, in inches, would the cutting be?

Is the cutting all green and flexible, or some of it woody?

Do you take a mallet of the joining branch?

What time of year does this work best? anytime?

Would it seem that airlayering would also work? maybe removing a band of bark and treating with hormone?

Thanks.

o

davidjamesmagna,

Very Interesting, Thank You!
I have grown many from seed but have yet to attempt growing from a cutting or grafting, airlayer or otherwise.
I'll try your method!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here