Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
crape myrtle air layering

Posted by thahalibut 9 CA, Sunset 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 12, 10 at 12:13

I just bought a crape myrtle dynamite & was going to try some air layering. Is this the best way to propagate these?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: crape myrtle air layering

I've had a lot of success with cuttings of Crape myrtles. I usually get a 4-6 inch cutting, dab the cut end with rooting hormone and place in moist medium. They root very easily!

o

Air layering is not the best way to propagate anything that will start easily from cuttings. Al

o

You could also just cut a root as they run close to the surface. Where you cut clear some of the earth away. A shoot should come up from there which you can dig up and transplant later. You may even get a few come up on their own, but not attached to the tree its self, those you can start as dvtown has mentioned. You should be able to start all the starts you like within a few years to where you will have to give them away.
Paul

o

When to take cuttings and how long it takes to root?
Arif

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here