Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transplating a jade plant

Posted by Puda none (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 12:39

thick heavy roots, branches are producing less and less leaves, lots of small new buds at base near dirt.
Pot is surely too small.

Break off heavy branches, allow break to dry up/crust over for a day or two, then transplant branches into new pots?

What kind of soil to use?

Once branches are pruned off, shall I keep the heavy base roots to transplant in a larger pot or not?
Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transplating a jade plant

No I would not save the roots from this pot. Much better off with the new roots from the cuttings. Al

o

I agree that the pot is way too small & also that it's best to start again; these plants will put up with a lot but even they can't thrive in such conditions. I have no experience of trying to root whole stems: I usually break off the green shoots & root them, though it's true you only get small plants that way. Why not try both?
The reason it's impractical to grow these to really large sizes successfully is that you would need larger & larger pots (to support the weight as well) so you'd need lots of room.
But there is a very interesting post further up this thread about a real monster: "When to Water Extremely large Jade Cutting"

o

Oh, don't throw it away. Just put it in a bigger pot and give it a good soak! If you prune it nicely and remove all the crossing branches it will look a whole lot better. Good luck. Ian

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here