Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It's August and time for the 'toothpick' technique

Posted by nandina 8b (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 23, 06 at 13:13

I have not posted this propagation method in several years. Time for a repeat. Just a reminder that all cuttings need to callus before they will root. This method allows the callusing to take place on the mother plant before the cutting is removed and is most helpful for those hard to root trees/shrubs. Plan to use the toothpick technique during the last weeks of August up until mid-September. This is a little known process and when I first posted it a number of growers contacted me, pleased to know about it as it requires no misting systems, etc.

MATERIALS REQUIRED...
A very sharp, small penknife or Exacto knife.
A small block of wood (to prevent cutting fingers!)
Some colored yarns or tape for marking purposes.
Toothpicks.

THE TOOTHPICK PROPAGATION TECHNIQUE
1. Select the stem from which you wish to take a cutting. Look along it until you locate a bud ON LAST YEAR'S GROWTH.

2. Place the block of wood behind that point and make a single VERTICAL cut all the way through the stem, just below the bud.

3. Insert a toopick through the cut.

4. Mark each cutting with colored yarn/tape so that you can locate it at a later date.

5. Walk away from your toothpick cuttings until the end of October or November. Leave them alone!

6. REMOVING THE CUTTINGS FROM THE MOTHER PLANT.
You will note that a callus has formed where you wounded the cutting and inserted a toothpick. With sharp pruning shears remove the cutting just below the toothpick. Trim off the toothpick on either side of the cutting.

7. Dip your cuttings in rooting hormone and set them in a cold frame. Water well and close up the frame for the winter. Water as needed. If you do not have a cold frame, set the cuttings right next to your house foundation on the east or north side. Lean an old window or glass pane up against the foundation to protect them.

8. Rooting should take place by mid-spring. Those with greenhouses can leave the cuttings on the mother plant into December/January before setting them to root. Commercial propagators will find this useful.

A VARIATION OF THE TOOTHPICK TECHNIQUE
This method requires a bit of practice but works well. In August/September select the stem to be used as a cutting. Locate last year's growth on the stem and grasp it between thumb and forefinger. Snap the stem lightly until it breaks in half. Leave it hanging on the plant where it will callus. Then follow instructions above for setting cuttings. Snip the cutting off, when callused, at the wounded part. This is a useful technique for azaleas and many woody shrubs and Japanese maples.

Hopefully I have explained this method so it is understood. Reading it over a few times may be necessary.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It's August and time for the 'toothpick' technique

Thank you so much for reminding me that is it August! I had made a mental note to do this when I found your post about it somewhere. I think this might be the answer to rooting some of the difficult plants I have tried to propagate for years, such as coppertone loquat.

Thanks, again!

Janie

o

Thanks for the tip!!!!!
John Gray

o

• Posted by phyl345 zone 5 illinois (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 2, 06 at 23:07

i use a toothpick in the "wound" of a stem when i bury it for layering...is that the same principle??

o

Nandina, does this work for fruit trees and trees like the flowering cherry?

o

Molly,
Fruit trees/flowering cherry are generally difficult to root and usually are grafted onto suitable root stock. Give the toothpick method a try...using the 'water sprouts' (upward growth on fruit tree branches that one usually removes at pruning time) as rooting material. You should have a fairly successful strike rate.

o

Couldn't stand it... I had to bump this especially because of the time of year for this...

~Angela

o

Angela, thanks for bumping this up. This is the first time I read about this technique!

o

Re bump :
How did it work any one in zone 6 or 7 try it?

o

This is the first time I have seen this method. I am going to try it, and see how it goes. I am having trouble rooting one of my mother-in-law's camellias. Maybe this will do the trick!

o

Bump

o

• Posted by pippi21 Z7 Silver Spring, Md (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 26, 13 at 3:29

I don't understand this method of propagating. what is the purpose of the toothpick? Do you place the toothpick in horizonal position or vertical? Never heard of this before.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here