Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to dig up Crepe Myrtle

Posted by psclaus central tx (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 25, 12 at 13:21

There is a lot of road construction going on near my home and vacant homes were dozed down. A lot of plants are still growning and I would love to go dig up some Pink Velvet CM's that aren't very big about 2 foot, but they are blooming. Problem is I am afraid within the next month they will be dozed under. Is there a specific time frame when I can remove them or do I need to wait until they go dormant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to dig up CrApe Myrtle

It would be better if you could wait just a bit until the weather gets a little cooler. However, crApe myrtles are pretty tough and are pretty likely to survive even if transplanted now. The bigger the rootball you can get, and the better you carefully maintain proper moisture levels after transplant, the better chance there is of success.

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting a Tree or Shrub

o
RE: When to dig up Crepe Myrtle

Totally agree.

But... are you sure the plants are going to be destroyed and not just the buildings? If whoever owns the land plans to rebuild within the existing landscape, that could be a problem. But it sounds like maybe eminent domain has relocated some residences to widen a road? If so, I would try to save them too, (assuming I could convince someone else to do the actual digging, I can't anymore.) No reason to not try.

Temporary mid-day shade can also be extremely helpful when replanting "out of season."

o
RE: When to dig up Crepe Myrtle

you gotta do.. what you gotta do.. when you can do it ...

find large pots [many nurseries have recycle piles].. dig them up ... pot them .. and put them in FULL SHADE.. until the proper planting season ...

bloom will probably immediately fail.. but that is not important..

water deeply.. and let near dry in between ...

and as noted.. get permission.. do not presume ...

the potting media might be important.. if you have a budget for such .... soil in pots can be tricky. but if this is short term.. it will probably work ...

i would then plant them.. when day heat falls.. and night temps are cool.. but will defer to anyone in TX as to timing ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here