Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White/Pink Crepe Myrtle

Posted by kentuck_8b __ (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 15, 11 at 13:49

I took 4 cuttings from a white blooming crepe myrtle a couple of years ago or so and every one has now bloomed, but has pink flowers.

I guess I don't understand the genetic processes involved, but I would tend to think that the blooms should also be white, like the parent plant. It should be a genetic clone.

Can anyone explain this to me or have any idea as to why the blossom colour has changed, other than minerals in the soil?

Kt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White/Pink Crepe Myrtle

There is nothing in the literature (that I have) says the flowers change color (as from white to pink). no mention that a mineral or change in pH changes flower color... & propagating from cuttings insures that flower color (etc) will be the same SO>>>>you must have gotten cuttings from a pink flower crepe myrtle

o

Thanks, yiorges.

Kt

o
RE: White/Pink CrApe Myrtle

Actually, it's pretty common to see pink(ish) blooms form on certain normally white blooming crApe myrtles. Multiple factors may be present, but weather (and weather timing) is one commonly mentioned. 'Whit VI' (Burgundy Cotton) is one example of a cultivar well known for this phenomenon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carl Whitcomb's Crapes (see description for Burgundy Cotton)

o

Kentuck 8B, did your crepe myrtle cuttings root easily? Also, what propagation setup did you use for rooting? I really want to acquire a purple variety that a neighbor has but I have not decided on how to build my indoor propagation system yet.

EV

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here