Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need advice on datura inoxia planting

Posted by Erica1590 SC (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 14, 13 at 13:55

Years and years ago a neighbor gave me some seeds, not really knowing what they were. I ended up planting them on the backside of my house. After a short time this huge shrub with beautiful white flowers shot up. It's been at least 5 or 6 years and I've finally learned that the plant is a datura inoxia. While the plant itself is thriving, its really spread out, not bushing as I would like it to. I would like to propagate, either by seed or cuttings, to an area where the blooms can be enjoyed by others but I'm not quite sure how to go about doing so.

The plant currently has numerous green seed pods. I've read that in order to propagate using seeds the pods need to be brown? Once I have seeds, should they be soaked or immediately replanted? And lastly, will they do as well in large pots as they will directly in the ground?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need advice on datura inoxia planting

after seed pod turns brown. store till spring. lightly cover the seed soil temp for germination 70F taking 14-42 days to germinate.
Take cuttings of frim new growth apply 0.1% IBA (rooting hormone stick in well drained soil & mist.

o

I do nothing with my Datura seeds - the pods ripen, split and the scattered seeds begin growing in the spring without me ever lifting a finger. This plant grows more easily than dandelions! The Datura plant never gets more than about 3' tall for me, growing more outward, to as much as 6' or so here in Z6. The flowers last a day or so and the fragrance, especially at dusk is heavenly.

o

Seems I can only add 1 pic at a time. This shows a Datura bud before opening.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here